Monday, December 30, 2013

For December 30th:


“When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.” John 19:30

 In Mark Flynn’s sermon series “Traveling the Prayer Paths of Jesus” the accompanying book of the same title discussed in its final chapter the above referenced last words of Jesus from the cross. The author, John Indermark (2003), offers this prayer in reference to Jesus’ words, “Grant me the strength to complete what you give me to do, the peace to let go what is no longer mine to carry, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen.” These words spoke to me as this year and this devotional project draw to a close.
A little over a year ago I was faced with the challenge of fulfilling a commitment as the Spiritual Coordinator on the Women’s Ministry Leadership Team at CUMC. I was not sure what that “looked like” exactly. I prayed about what God wanted that to “look like”. His answer…”Our women might find encouragement from each other. Organize a daily devotional, where the women of this church share how they live in gratitude towards their Creator.”  That is how this “Living a Life of Gratitude Daily Devotional” began.
            It was a struggle for me to be obedient in this task and I tried my best to ignore His call, but after I finally gave in and began the journey that this project has become, it has been pure blessing. From the beginning, the plan has been to publish an edition each month, as long as there have been enough entries. I can’t believe this is the December issue--#12. Our women have been so faithful to take the time to write from their hearts. I have looked forward with anticipation to see whom God would inspire to share each month.
            AND, God had a much broader plan and audience than just the women in our congregation. I have very basic technical knowledge and skills, but through the encouragement of more “techno” savvy women, this devotional has gone global. Through the innovation of the World Wide Web and Blogger, and since its initial post in January 2013, our devotional blog has reached 6,834 women as of printing date, in 10 countries, including: The United States, United Kingdom, Russia, China, Malaysia, Germany, Latvia, Ukraine, Canada, and Indonesia. In addition to those numbers, 63 people have signed up to have the entries delivered directly to their emails each day. And these statistics do not include the average160 copies that have been printed on paper and distributed each month (around 1,920) at the information desks.
            I am so humbled by the faith shown through the stories shared in the past twelve months. I am so honored to be in the midst of such Godly women. I remain in awe of all of you. “It” is finished, this work that God gave us to do during this “Living a Life of Gratitude” themed year. Thank you for the opportunity to be editor of this endeavor. It has been a joy filled “gift”!

Jane Newman
  


No comments:

Post a Comment