Thursday, December 26, 2013

For December 26th:


“Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him.” Deuteronomy 8:6
Wanna walk 60 miles with me?
I thought my sister had gone crazy. Why was she asking me to walk 60 miles? The phone call actually came this past May from my sister, Char, who is in her first year as a breast cancer survivor. She had heard about something called the Susan G. Komen         3-Day. It’s a three-day walk for people who are dedicated to finding a cure for breast cancer. You walk 20 miles a day for three days in a row. She really wanted to do it and wanted me to join her.
I was a little hesitant, but not because I don't love walking. I love to walk. My Twitter handle is @walkingjennie, after all. I was hesitant because I wasn’t sure we could do all that was required. You not only have to walk 60 miles, but you have to raise $2,300 to have the privilege of doing it. I agreed anyway, and we started training, fundraising and getting more people to join our team. We ended up with an amazing team called Charley’s Angels that included Charley (my awesome sister), Mary, Lisa, Loren, Jamie (my incredible 17-year-old daughter), and me.
The weekend after I walked 60 miles with my sister and her team, my blisters had almost healed, but my heart will never be the same. I watched my sister walk each and every step of the 60 miles. I watched my sweet Jamie walk 20 miles for the young woman’s walk when she didn’t think she could. At the end, she actually skipped across the finish line. I watched Char’s friends support her and walk for a cure. I watched more than 700 men and women walk to cure breast cancer. I saw women that weren’t in great physical shape walk 60 miles. They were motivated because they were walking for someone. Some were walking for their moms, some for their aunts, some for their best friends, some for their sisters (like me), and some for themselves. What I really saw was devotion – strong physical and emotional devotion to someone. It was incredible and very moving.
What kind of dedication and devotion do I have for my God? Do I strain and push myself to show my love and gratitude to Him? Is it evident that I am devoted to Him and doing His work? That is my goal going forward that God, me, and others can see I am 100 percent devoted to serving him even when it feels like I have to walk 60 miles and am not prepared. So I ask you the same question: Are you willing to walk 60 miles for our Heavenly Father?
Jennie Hobbs
  


No comments:

Post a Comment